Hillsdale is one of the five towns of the Roe Jan region and an significant municipality in the History of Columbia County. Within the bounds of the town of Hillsdale are the headwaters of several small streams, the Copake Creek, the Claverack Creek, the Roeliff Jansen Kill, and tributaries of Green River, which flows across the northeastern boundaries of the town.
There were three fulling mills on the Roeliff Jansen’s Kill, and two carding machines in the vicinity, all in what was then called the Collin neighborhood. The disastrous flood of 1888 destroyed what was remaining of them at that time.
Both the Roeliff Jansen Kill and Roeliff Jansen Park outside Hillsdale were named after Roeliff Jansen - the Roeliff Jansen Park entrance is located on Route 22, one half mile south of the Hillsdale light on the east side of the road. The park includes multiple trails, access to the Roeliff Jansen Kill, several picnic areas, a dog run, a farmers market, a summer youth program, and much more.
Four vintage Harlem Line Photos of Hillsdale contributed by Arthur Deeks
PC FL9, NB, Hillsdale, NY, July 25h,1971 Photo ©1971 Arthur Deeks
PC RS-3m 9962, SB, Hillsdale, NY, March 27th 1976 Photo ©1976 Arthur Deeks
PC RS-3 5365, NB, Hillsdale, NY, August 11th 1972 Photo ©1972 Arthur Deeks
Hillsdale, NY, looking NW, scrappers on way, July 23rd, 1979 Photo ©1979 Arthur Deeks
PICTURES OF HILLSDALE FROM THE RJHS COLLECTION